Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Poems and Prayers for the Very Young selected and illus by Martha Alexander

This book has been a daily reading for all three of my children as toddlers.  There are some of my favorite poems printed within its pages, the two starred I have displayed in our home (one is a personal prayer and one a prayer for our home):

A Child's Prayer by M.Betham-Edwards
*Peace Be to This House -Unknown
God Be In my Head -Unknown
Out in the Fields with God by Louise Imogen Guiney
*A Child's Prayer by John Banister Tabb
Firefly by Elizabeth Madox Roberts
Sleepy Song by Arthur Guiterman
The Gift by Christina G. Rossetti

So many of these cause me to recall different verses in the Bible, and the LORD's prayer is also printed in this book, but I am choosing:

"Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you."-Psalm 63:3 (NIV)

The entire chapter of Psalm 119 because of its display of love for not only God but His decrees and promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment