Friday, August 17, 2012

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr.Seuss

This is my "most-read" book! According to my mom, it was my favorite as a child. I think she actually hid it at one point because she wanted to read something else.  It has been a repetitive read with my own children and with several different groups of teenage girls.  It is, of course, applicable as many preschool's use it to teach young children to try new foods. It works well as a motivator to get them to try new experiences.  My favorite is how I have shared with girls to try new relationships.  Over the last 15  years, I have heard girls and women as well size up a woman they may not have even met as one with whom they would not get along.  I have unfortunately done this too with two extremely special people only to be proven TOTALLY wrong later in life.
My "green egg" friend happened in 6th grade. For many years, we had a mutual friend with whom I went to school and she lived down the street who told us both that the other did not like us.  We believed and reciprocated until the 6th grade! We were not enemies just whenever we were in the same place in our small town we just didn't engage.  I had switched schools in the 4th grade and she ended up sitting in the desk immediately in front of me in Homeroom.  There was a little fellow in the next row who had never been taught how to treat girls and we both new to survive the year with him we needed to support each other.  We gave it a try and she is one of my dearest friends and favorite people this 22 or so years later.  One would think I would have learned, but NO!
In my early 20s, I met my "green ham" friend. David and I found ourselves in the family room of a pastor and his wife who were going to share some information about moving across the country to begin a new church.  In walks a tall girl who was also interested in the move.  We met and began to talk.  Being extremely short, I was already very opposite her.  She was much more interested in athletics than myself, still in college, and very competitive. These only added more differences. I wasn't so sure we would be very close even though it appeared we were moving to the same place.  She later confided she had felt very similar. Once again, I was WRONG!  As the years have passed we have shared many exciting moments and times together and now wish we were still in the same state!

Trying foods adds flavor to life, trying experiences adds fun, trying friends adds love and support.  However, giving God, Jesus, and the Bible a chance are the absolute most CRUCIAL!  We must be careful or we will miss out!

"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."-Psalm 34:8

Farah: Snicker's bar (it's got it all - a little Spiritual protein, caramel, and chocolate)
Dax:
Cole:




No comments:

Post a Comment